Tuesday, November 4, 2008

More Than a Woman

Whenever asked about how is it to be a woman, the first thought that usually comes to mind is that women are perceived to be less than men. It’s a socially acceptable notion that people no longer question, simply because however one tries, it still remains unchangeable.

As time passes by, more and more women—and even men, try to change this notion. There are already lots of successful women that had already proved this notion wrong. Positive changes occurred such as that there are more opportunities for women now; women often receive fair treatment now; and the like. However, this negative notion about women can’t seem to be completely eradicated perhaps because it’s somehow part of our culture already.

But then, I guess the current state of how society perceives women is a lot better than how it was before. I’ve always thought that I’m a bit of a feminist and I don’t think I can live that life where women are seen as the inferior gender. Its not that I’m all negative about what men can do, it’s just that I believe in the potential of “women-kind”; that it’s more than what society expects of a woman.

No comments: